1cup Cooked rice
1 Tamarind (lime size)
2 cups Water
1tbsp Peanuts (roasted)
3-4 Dry red chilli
1/2tsp Mustard seeds
1/2tsp Urad dal
1/4tsp Fenugreek seeds
1 pinch Asafoetida
5-6 Curry leaves
2tbsp Sesame oil
1tbsp Coriander seeds
1/2tbsp Chana dal
1/2tbsp Urad dal
4 Dry red chilli
- Prepare tamarind juice by immersing and squeezing the tamarind in 2 cups of water.
- Cool the rice, add 1/2tbsp oil and mix well. (This way the rice won't stick together.)
- Heat 1 1/2tbsp oil in a skillet, add dry red chilli, mustard seeds, when it sputters, add urad dal, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and peanuts.
- Pour the tamarind juice into the skillet along with salt and cook until its reduced and starts thickening.
- Check salt for taste and mix well with the cooked rice.
- In another pan, heat 2tsp of oil, add the roasting ingredients and roast until they starts browning.
- Let it cool and grind them to a coarse but not very fine powder.
- Add around 2 1/2tbsp of the ground powder to the rice and mix well.
Serve hot with toor dal chutney and chips.