This is a dessert i have been wanting to make at home for quite sometime. Whenever i think of custard, i remember my PG hostel days, wherein we get a small fruit custard bowl as dessert for lunch every Wednesday. Who could resist eating just one? So, we (me n friends) sneak and take away (decent way to say 'steal', hehe) 3 or 4 bowls, when the person at the hostel food counter turns her back. The custard tastes even better this way. It will be super sweet and totally irresistible. Here, when i get to taste Crème brûlée at first, i felt the same spongy custard that just melts in my mouth. I can never have enough of it. I didn't know custard is that easy to prepare until i landed vahrehvah's Caramel Custard recipe. It turned out so delicate with mild sweetness and soft texture thats simply yummylicious. Here goes the recipe for you to try it out,
2 cups Milk
1/4 cup + 3tsp Sugar
1/4tsp Vanilla Extract
1tbsp Pistachios (chopped), for sprinkling
Food color (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Set a small baking pan inside a big baking dish half filled with water.
- Heat the 3tsp sugar in a pan along with water and let it caramelize in a medium-low flame. (I tried twice and didn't get the caramelization, instead the sugar dried up and became hard, hehe. So i just spread the lumps inside the small baking pan and kept aside.)
- Break the eggs in a bowl and whisk'em along with the 1/4cup of sugar.
- Then pour the vanilla extract and milk, and continue whisking until everything blends.
- Now pour the milk mixture over the sugar that has been spread and bake for 45 mins.
- Remove and let sit for 20 mins. With a knife or spoon run the sides and separate the custard sticking to the sides.
- With a plate placed upside down on the baking pan, carefully transfer the custard onto the plate.
- The sugar would have melted and runs over the custard. Refrigerate it, sprinkle the chopped pistachios and serve chill.
Sending the treat to Lisa's Sweet as Sugar Cookies event.