This is such an easy and healthy dip that would go well with pretty much everything. It tastes great with dosa, cooked rice, toasted bread, pita chips and crackers. The garlic adds so much flavor, the red onions give it a nice crunch and the chunky eggplants adds a great texture. And last but not least, you will get a guaranteed '
good great job' pat from your spouse just like i did. And here goes the recipe,
2 medium Eggplants (or 1 large)
10-12 Garlic pods
4 small Green Chilli (finely chopped)
1/4 cup Red onion (finely chopped)
1/4 cup Cilantro (finely chopped)
2 tbsp Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash the eggplants, cut the stem off and make 4 slits lengthwise.
- Open the slits gently and stuff the garlic and green chilli.
- Place the eggplant on a foil, sprinkle salt and drizzle olive oil over it.
- Wrap the eggplant tightly and place it in a oven safe dish and bake for an hour.
- Once baked, remove the foil immediately and carefully slide the roasted eggplants into the dish.
- Cut the eggplants and mash'em along with the skin and check the salt for taste.
- Let it cool completely, add the onions and cilantro, mix well.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled with chips or crackers.