I was looking for a quick and simple dish with chayote and came across Nithu's kitchen (http://www.nithubala.com/ ) and got this recipe. She has already done some changes to the original recipe from Geetha Achal's blog (http://geethaachalrecipe.blogspot.com/). Here goes the recipe with my alterations,
1 medium Chow Chow
2 Green Chilli (chopped)
4-5 Curry leaves
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
1tsp Cumin seeds
1/2tsp Mustard seeds
1/2tsp Urad dal
1 pinch Asafoetida
1/2tsp Black pepper powder
- Wash, peel the skin, discard the seed and dice the chayote into bite-size pieces.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Then add green chillies, followed by turmeric powder and the diced chayote.
- Add salt and saute until it starts browning slightly.
- Now add curry leaves and continue sautéing until tender and crispy.
- Switch off, sprinkle black pepper powder, mix well and let sit for a min.
Serve hot with sambar rice.