One pot meal and a comfort food, perfect for those lazy days. Kichadi is prepared using rice or semolina or even cracked wheat mixed with lentils and a variety of spices and vegetables. You can also add roasted peanuts or cashew nuts for a little crunch. This recipe can easily be doubled when you have company over. With just a few ingredients from your pantry and easy to cook vegetables, this kichadi will be perfect for lunch boxes too. Hope you will enjoy the dish just like i did. And here goes the recipe,
1/2 cup Rice
1/4 cup Toor dal
! 1/2 cups Water
1/4 cup Peas
1/4 cup Carrot (chopped)
1/2 Onion (finely chopped)
2-3 Green Chili (Finely chopped)
1 1/2 tsp Garlic (minced)
1 1/2 tsp Ginger (minced)
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp Black peppercorns
1/2" Cinnamon stick
1 pinch Asafoetida
1 tbsp Oil
- Wash the rice and toor dal together, pour the water and soak for 20 mins.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil, add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, clove, peppercorns, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Add the onions, saute for a min. Then add the ginger, garlic and green chilies and saute for a couple of mins.
- Add the carrots, peas along with chili powder and salt.
- Now add the soaked rice and dal along with the water, check salt and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Switch off, fluff the rice gently and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve warm with potato fry or chips.