1/2 Yellow onion (thinly sliced)
1/2 small Tomato (chopped) (optional)
3/4tsp Cumin seeds
1/2tsp Mustard seeds
3/4tsp Amchur powder (dry mango powder)
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
1/2tsp Red chilli powder
1/4 cup plain Yogurt
- Wash, dry and cut the okra into 1" pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add cumin seeds, followed by onions.
- Saute the onions until tender, add turmeric powder and continue sautéing for 3-4 mins.
- Then add the okra, mix well and cook along with salt and chilli powder for 8-10 mins in a medium flame. (Stir every 2 mins to avoid burning at the bottom.)
- When the stickiness is all gone and the okra starts browning, add amchur powder, give it a quick mix,
- Now, add the yogurt, stir and cook for a min or until the yogurt is all absorbed.
- Then add the tomatoes and cook with lid closed for 2-3 mins. (Adding tomatoes gives nice color to the dish.)
Switch off and serve hot with chapathi or steamed rice.