1 1/2 cups Oats (old-fashioned)
1/2 Yellow onion (chopped)
2 Green Chilli (cut lengthwise)
1tsp Ginger (minced)
5-6 Curry leaves
1/2tsp mustard seeds
1/2tsp Urad dal
8-10 Almonds (optional)
2 1/4 cups Water
2tsp + 1tsp Oil
- Heat 1tsp of oil in a pan, roast the almonds and keep it aside.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, when they splutter, add urad dal, followed by asafoetida.
- Then add onions along with little salt and saute until tender.
- Add green chilli, curry leaves and ginger and saute for a couple of mins or until onions turn golden brown.
- Then pour the water along with salt, when it starts to boil, add the oats, mix well and cook for 7 mins with lid closed. (Stir once or twice to avoid sticking or burning at the bottom.)
- Remove the lid, gently stir and cook until water is all evaporated and left dry.
Switch off, serve warm topped with roasted almonds and hot sauce as a side.