3/4lb Chicken (bite-size pieces)
1 1/2 Red onion (ground)
4 Roma tomatoes (pureed)
1tsp Garlic (minced)
1 1/2tsp Ginger (minced)
2 green chilli (cut lengthwise)
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
3/4tsp Chilli powder
1tsp Coriander powder
3/4tsp Cumin powder
1tsp Garam masala powder
1/2tsp Whole Black pepper
2 Bay leaves
1 Cinnamon stick (1/2", broken)
1 Black Cardamom
2 Green Cardamom
3 small Cloves
2 cups Water
- Crush the whole black pepper and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add bay leaves through cloves.
- Add the ground onions and saute until raw smell disappears and left dry.
- Move the onions aside, pour a tsp of oil, add ginger, garlic and green chilli and saute for a couple of mins.
- Mix'em with the onions and cook for another 2 mins.
- Then add the pureed tomatoes and cook for 4-5 mins or until raw smell disappears.
- Now add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder, mix well and cook for another min.
- Add the chicken, mix well with the masala and cook for a min.
- Then pour enough water to cover the chicken, followed by crushed pepper and salt.
- Close the lid and cook for 8-10 mins or until the chicken is tender.
- Check salt for taste and cook in a medium-low flame until right consistency for the gravy. Switch off and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve hot with naan, chapathi or steamed rice.