3/4 lb Okra (Lady's finger)
1/2 Yellow onion (finely chopped)
2 Roma Tomatoes (chopped)
1/4 Green bell pepper
1/4 Red bell pepper
3 green chilli (chopped)
3 garlic pods (minced)
1" piece Ginger (minced)
4-5 Curry leaves
8-10 sprigs Cilantro
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
1 1/2tsp Coriander powder
1 1/2tsp Cumin powder
1tsp Chilli powder
1tsp Cumin seeds
1tsp Coriander seeds (coarsely crushed) (not shown in pic)
1/2tsp Fennel seeds
1" Cinnamon stick
- Wash and pat dry the okra with a paper towel before chopping.
- Heat oil and deep fry the chopped okra for a couple of mins. (Do not brown'em.)
- Transfer it to a plate with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Then heat oil in a skillet, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cloves and cinnamon.
- Then add the crushed coriander seeds, immediately followed by onions along with salt.
- Add turmeric powder and saute for a couple of mins.
- Now add ginger and garlic and cook until raw smell disappears.
- Add the curry leaves and green chilli and saute for a min.
- Then add the tomatoes and cook along with coriander powder, cumin powder and chilli powder.
- Cook until its all mashed and masala powders are all cooked.
- Now add the bell peppers, mix well and cook until tender for 3-4 mins.
- Add half of the cilantro and cook for a min.
- Now toss the lightly deep fried okra along with required salt and cook with lid closed in a medium-low flame for 5 mins.
- Switch off and garnish with the remaining cilantro.
Serve hot with steamed rice or chapathi.
If you want the dish more like a gravy consistency, you can increase the onions and tomatoes, along with the masala powders and then follow the recipe.