1 cup Urad dal
1/2 cup Coriander seeds
4tbsp Chana dal
1tbsp Black sesame seeds
12 Dry red chilli
6 Curry leaves
2 garlic pods
piece of Tamarind
Pinch of Asafoetida
- In a skillet, heat oil in a low flame, add dry red chillies and roast until you sense the aroma.
- Now add the chana dal and roast till it turns slightly brown.
- Then add the urad dal, followed by sesame seeds, tamarind and curry leaves.
- Finally add asafoetida and roast for another min.
- Let the mixture completely cool.
- Dry roast the coriander seeds separately and keep it aside.
- Now coarse grind the mixture along with roasted coriander, garlic and salt.
Mix sesame oil with the podi and you are good to go with idly or dosa.
Store it in the fridge for freshness.