8-9 Tender Brinjal (Indian eggplant)
8-10 Dry red chilli
2tbsp Chana dal
2tbsp Urad dal
1 Pinch Fenugreek seeds (Methi)
1tbsp Coriander seeds
3 pieces Tamarind
2 garlic pods (sliced)
5-6 Curry leaves
1 Pinch Asafoetida (hing)
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 green chilli slit (optional)
- Wash, pat dry and slice the brinjals into 4 wedges with the head intact.
- In a pan with hot oil, deep fry'em for 30 secs and keep it aside on paper napkin to remove the excess oil.
- In a skillet, heat 1tbsp oil, add dry red chilli, slow roast'em, then add chana dal through turmeric powder, one at a time and roast well.
- Let it cool, add salt and grind to a fine powder. Mix water to the powder and make a thick paste (masala).
- Now stuff the brinjals with the masala and carefully place it in the skillet with 1tbsp oil and cook with lid closed.
- Once every 5 mins, turn the brinjals and cook every side with salt sprinkled on top.
- Add the green chilli and roast few more mins.
- Finally, garnish with cilantro.
Serve hot with steamed rice.