10 Brinjals (small)
1 Yellow onion (chopped)
1 1/2 Tomato (chopped)
4 Small green chilli (slit)
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
3/4tbsp Chilli powder
1 1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
1tsp Cumin seeds
1/2tsp mustard seeds
1/2tsp Urad dal
1 1/2 cups Water
- Wash and cut the brinjals into quarters, lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal and cumin seeds.
- Now add onion and green chilli along with the salt and saute until tender.
- Add turmeric powder and saute for a min.
- Then add the tomatoes and cook till mashed up completely.
- Add the chilli powder and coriander powder and cook for 2 mins.
- Now add the quartered brinjals, mix well and cook along with salt and 1 1/2 cups water with lid closed.
- Cook until the brinjals are tender and the curry thickens.
- Check salt for taste. Switch off and garnish with cilantro.
Serve hot with steamed rice or chapathi.