For cooking rice:
1 1/2 cups Basmati rice
1/2tsp Fennel seeds
4 cups Water
- Heat water in a medium flame, add fennel seeds, oil, salt and stir it. Make sure the water is salty.
- Add the rice and wait for the water to boil and the rice to come up. Now, take 1 grain of rice and check if it breaks when pressed by your finger tips.
- If yes, switch off and carefully drain the water from the rice in a colander and keep aside .
Pinch Saffron color
- Dissolve the saffron color in water and keep it aside.
For frying onions:
1/2 Yellow onion (thinly sliced)
1tsp Corn flour
- Heat oil at medium-high in a deep frying pan.
- Sprinkle the corn flour over the onions and deep fry'em immediately. (Do not let sit after sprinkling corn flour, as it may start sticking.)
- Place it on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
For cooking Chicken:
4 Chicken drumsticks
1 Yellow onion (thinly sliced)
2 Roma tomatoes (chopped)
2 small green chilli (chopped)
3/4 cup Yogurt (plain)
1/2 cup Mint leaves
1/2 cup Cilantro
1tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
3/4tbsp Chilli powder
1tbsp Coriander powder
1/2tsp Garam masala powder
1tsp ghee (optional)
Whole garam masala:
1tsp Fennel seeds
1/2tsp Cumin seeds
1/2tsp Black cumin seeds
3 green cardamom
2 black cardamom
1 Cinnamon stick (1")
1 Bay leaf
- In a skillet, heat oil and ghee, add the whole garam masala spices and saute for a min.
- Then add the onion and green chilli and saute until it starts browning.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and cook until raw smell disappears.
- Then add cilantro, mint leaves and tomatoes and cook till its completely mashed up.
- Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and cook for 2 mins.
- Now add the chicken to the masala, mix well and cook for 2 mins.
- Pour the yogurt, mix well and cook until the chicken is tender, with lid closed.
- Reduce the flame, remove the lid and cook till the masala thickens.
Check salt for taste and switch off the flame.
Let the fun begin.
- In a baking dish, spread the chicken masala at the bottom and layer it up with the rice.
- Then top it with fried onions, cilantro, mint leaves and pour around 2tsp of saffron water and wrap it up with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 mins.
Serve hot with hard-boiled egg and raita.
Sending this dish to the event 'Iftar moments Hijri 1431', hosted by Umm Mymoonah.