1 Yellow onion (chopped)
2 Tomatoes (chopped)
5 small green chillies (chopped)
4 garlic pods
1 piece ginger
1tsp Cumin seeds
1 1/2tsp Coriander powder
3/4tsp Cumin powder
1/2tsp Chilli powder
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
- Coat the eggplant with oil and bake at 500 degrees for 20 mins.
- Peel the skin and give it a rough chop to form chunks of eggplant.
- Crush the garlic and ginger together and keep it aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil, add cumin seeds and crushed ginger-garlic and saute for a min.
- Now add onions along with salt and saute until tender. Do not brown them.
- Add green chillies, saute for a min and add turmeric powder.
- Then add tomatoes and cook for 2 mins at a reduced flame with lid closed.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder and chilli powder and cook till tomatoes are completely mashed.
- Now mix the eggplant chunks to the masala, mix well and cook for 3 more mins.
- Sprinkle water if the masala dries out and check salt for taste.
- Switch off and garnish with cilantro.
Serve hot with dosa/idly/chapathi/steamed rice.
Sending this dish to the event 'Dish Name Starts with: B' hosted by Akila.