7-8 Pearl onions
5-6 Garlic pods
2 piece Tamarind
3-4 Red dry chilli
1tsp mustard seeds
1tsp Cumin seeds
1 pinch Fenugreek seeds
6-7 Curry leaves
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
1tbsp Chilli powder
2tbsp Coriander powder
3-4tbsp Sesame oil
- Chop the tomatoes and puree it. Also make tamarind juice with 1 cup water.
- In a deep pan heat Sesame oil, add mustard seeds, when they crackle, add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add dry red chilli, curry leaves and pearl onions. Fry them carefully as they may get burnt.
- Once the pearl onions starts browning, add the pureed tomato and cook well, with lid closed.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and cook for 2 mins also add garlic and cook for 2 more mins.
- Now pour the tamarind juice followed by 2 cups of water along with salt.
- Check the taste and add water, so that it doesn't end up too sour.
- Mix well and let it cook till you get the right consistency.
Spicy kuzhambu is ready to serve with steamed rice.