I was hunting for a perfect snack just to munch around in between my diet, i found this recipe "Namakpare (A Savoury Indian Snack) – The Baked Version" and very much pleased with the word 'baked'. When i read the recipe's name, it felt kind of new, but once i gone through the recipe, i remember these little bites which my mom makes for Diwali, but its deep-fried and sweeter version. I called her immediately and said, 'ma, am going to make these little crackers today', she got all excited, you know with the diwali around the corner, she started calling me to India. After i finished convincing her, *sigh*, i began kneading the dough with my hands and i could sense the smell of ajwain seeds and can't wait to bake'em. Believe me, once i popped my little fellows inside the oven, the flavor filled my kitchen and i just stood there and watched'em turn crispy. My, my the crackers tasted so good, fresh and hot, i kept eating 3,4 at a time. I never tried deep-frying these crackers, that too with ghee or butter, but with the results, i say, i won't deep-fry. Thanks to Aparna for sharing this wonderful recipe. Well, coming to the recipe,
1/2 cup Whole Wheat flour
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour (maida)
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
1/2tsp Ajwain seeds
1/4 cup Water
- In a bowl, mix together the flours, ajwain seeds, salt and oil.
- Then pour the water one tbsp at a time, resulting a non-sticky and stiff dough.
- Wrap it and let rest for 30 mins.
- Divide the dough into 2 or 3 portions and roll it thin.
- With a sharp knife or cookie cutter, cut the dough into desired shapes.
- Arrange it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or slightly oil-sprayed.
- Bake at 395 degrees for 15-18 mins or until evenly browned.
- Let cool on a cooling rack and store it in a air-tight container.
Serve the crackers with hot coffee or tea.
- Make sure you keep an eye on the crackers after 15 mins of baking, as they brown faster.
- Do not let them sit on the counter for longer time, as they might loose the crispness.
- Add sugar or honey and make your version of sweet crackers.