Thought i would share a little celebration we had a couple days back. Senthil received a Golden Star Award for the work he delivered at his office. To celebrate that, i surprised him by baking his favorite Vanilla cake. Its been a long time, since i baked one. He likes his cake simple, you know, with no frosting or icing or drizzling. For me, decorating a cake is fun and enjoyable activity. So, i forced myself not to use any frosting, instead used some sprinkles.
I found this recipe from here. It was so simple with basic ingredients and especially no butter. I used olive oil and used APF where the recipe calls for oil and cake flour, respectively. Believe me, the cake turned out heavenly with perfect sweetness. Also, he likes his cake moist, so i made a simple syrup to brush upon the cake. Wanna know more, go ahead and check the recipe,
1 1/2 cups All purpose flour (Maida)
1 cup Splenda / Sugar
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1 cup Milk
2 1/2tsp Baking powder
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4tsp White Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks in two different bowls.
- Add the milk, vanilla extract and half the amount of sugar to the egg yolks, mix well and keep aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture.
- Then with a hand mixer, beat the egg whites, sugar and vinegar until frothy.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the flour mixture, pour it in the flour-dusted cake pan. ((If the batter is thick, feel free to add more milk.)
- Bake for 25 mins until golden brown and a tooth-pick when inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely for 30 mins on a cooling rack.
For simple syrup:
1/4 cup Splenda / sugar
1/4 cup Water
- In a sauce pan, combine sugar and water, and bring it to a boil. Let cool.
- Mean while, make holes on the cake with a tooth pick. Then sweep the cake with a brush dipped in the syrup.
- Wait until the cake absorbs the syrup before your second coat. Careful not to turn it soggy.
- Finally, decorate the cake as you wish.
Serve a slice with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.