Paneer is something i go crazy for. Who doesn't? I usually buy paneer, thinking of preparing side dishes for chapathi or naan. But this time i wanted to prepare some hot rice dish with it. Just like my other fried rice recipes, this dish was so good that you get to bite into those soft, delicate, fried paneer bits that really makes you go super crazy to have more and more. The pepper powder seasons the rice very well and it was a hit. Check the recipe and give it a shot.
3/4 cup Basmati Rice (cooked)
1/2 Green Bell Pepper (diced) (optional)
1/3 cup Petite Green Peas (frozen & thawed)
1/2 Yellow Onion (diced)
1tsp Ginger (minced)
1tsp Garlic (minced)
7oz/200gm Paneer (cubed)
1tsp Coriander powder
1/2tsp Chilli powder
1tsp Ginger (minced)
1tbsp Yogurt (plain)
1/2tsp Cumin seeds
1 Cinnamon stick (1/2")
1 Black Cardamom
1/2tsp Crushed red pepper (Optional)
3/4tsp Black pepper powder
1tbsp +1tbsp Oil
- Cook the rice and spread it on a plate to cool.
- In a bowl, to the paneer cubes, add coriander powder, chilli powder, 1tsp ginger, yogurt and salt.
- Wrap and let marinate for 10-15 mins in fridge.
- Heat 1tbsp oil or just enough to coat the skillet at medium heat, and fry the paneer cubes for a min on each side or until brown.
- Transfer it to a plate and keep aside.
- In the same skillet heat the remaining oil, add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and black cardamom.
- Then add ginger and garlic, and saute for a min.
- Add onions and saute until tender, followed by peas and bell pepper.
- After a couple of mins, add salt and some crushed red pepper and saute until the veggies are tender.
- Add the paneer cubes, mix well and cook for another min. (I have cut the fried paneer into 2 pieces, just to have paneer in every bite. You can break it further or add as it is.)
- Then add the cooled rice, mix gently and cook until the rice is all heated through.
- Add the pepper powder and check salt for taste.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook with lid closed for 3-4 mins.
- Finally, switch off and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve warm with hot sauce and chips.
Complete my Thali by Jagruti.