Last time i remember chopping methi leaves was at my home, before marriage. As my mom, most of the times, make me separate the leaves from the stem, wash and chop'em, i always think its a big time consuming process. After marriage, when i started cooking, i avoid picking fresh spinach leaves, rather buy chopped frozen leaves just to make my cooking easier. But today as i cleaned fresh methi leaves, i found it quite refreshing with the smell of those fresh leaves on my hands. You know it, when handling the fresh ingredients. Trust me, your lunch will be ready in no time. I came across this recipe from showmethecurry. Their method was, to cook the rice along with methi, but i cooked the rice separately and mixed with the methi masala mixture. You can choose your way of cooking. Alright, here goes the recipe,
3/4 cup Basmati Rice
1 bunch Methi leaves
1/2 cup Petite Peas (optional)
1 small Roma Tomato (chopped)
2 Green Chilli (finely chopped)
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
2tsp Coriander powder
1tsp Chilli powder
1tsp Cumin seeds
- Separate the methi leaves, wash and chop'em. Add some salt and let sit for 20 mins.
- Pressure cook the basmati rice along with 1tsp oil and salt. Cool it and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add cumin seeds, followed by green chilli and tomato, saute for a min.
- Then add peas along with salt and cook with lid closed for couple of mins or until tender.
- Now squeeze out the water from methi leaves and add into the skillet.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder, and saute for another couple of mins.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well. Check salt for taste, close the lid and cook for 3 mins at low heat.
- Switch off and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with onion raita and chips.