The other day, i was searching for a flavored rice and started googling, i chanced upon this masala rice at http://showmethecurry.com/. The recipe was for leftover rice, but i used freshly cooked rice and was very much pleased as the ingredients seemed very simple and adding chana masala to rice is something i would have never thought of. Also the flavor from chana masala was a total knockout, especially when fused with the aroma of freshly cooked basmati rice. This is a quick rice dish, which you can make it in less than 10 mins. If you are using leftover rice, just reheat the rice, in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 secs, with some water sprinkled to prevent drying out.
1 cup Basmati Rice
1tbsp Chana masala powder
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
1tbsp Peanuts (roasted)
2 Green chillies (minced0
1/2tsp Mustard seeds
1/2tsp Urad dal
1/2tsp Cumin seeds
5-6 Curry leaves
1 pinch Asafoetida
1tbsp + 1tsp Oil
- Pressure cook the rice along with 1tsp oil and required salt.
- Fluff it and transfer to a bowl or plate. Add the chana masala powder, mix well and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal, cumin seeds, asafoetida, followed by turmeric powder.
- Then add curry leaves, green chillies and roasted peanuts. (If you have raw peanuts, add it before curry leaves and roast'em.)
- Now reduce the flame, add the cooked rice into the skillet, gently toss and cook until rice is all heated through. Check salt for taste.
- Switch off and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve with raita or chips.