1 cup Brown rice
2 cups Chicken broth (low sodium)
1/2 Yellow Onion (thinly sliced)
1 1/2 Roma Tomatoes (pureed)
1tsp Ginger (minced)
1tsp Garlic (minced)
4 green Chilli (chopped)
2tbsp Cilantro (chopped)
1/4 cup plain Yogurt (beaten)
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
1/2tsp Chilli powder
2tsp Coriander powder
1/2tsp Garam masala powder
1/2tsp Cumin seeds
1/4tsp Black Cumin seeds
2 Cinnamon stick (1")
1 Black Cardamom
2 Green Cardamom
4 small Cloves
1tbsp + 1tsp Oil
- Pressure cook the brown rice along with chicken broth, 1tsp oil and little salt for 2 whistles.
- Resulting will be sticky rice. Fluff it with fork and keep it aside. (For chewier rice, pour 1 3/4 cup broth and cook until a whistle.)
- Heat oil in a wide skillet, add cumin seeds through cloves.
- Then add onions and saute until tender along with salt.
- Now add ginger and garlic, and continue sautéing until the onions turn brown.
- Then add green chilli and cilantro and saute for a couple of mins.
- Pour the tomato puree and cook along with turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Then pour the yogurt, mix well and cook until the masala is left with little moisture.
- Reduce the flame to low and add the cooked sticky rice to the masala, mix gently (careful, not to mash it).
- Switch off and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Also, i hard-boiled couple of eggs and mixed with the rice. You can serve it by the side.
Serve warm with onion raita.
Sending this dish to the event 'Festive Rice' hosted by Torviewtoronto. (http://torviewtoronto.blogspot.com/)