I would like to share some information about apples. No history or geography, but something to know for your day-to-day life. We all must have heard this saying,"An apple a day, keeps the doctor away". Now you know, i am just gonna throw some light on, why eat apples, how it should be eaten and what it does to your body. Also, i am proud of myself, as i eat a raw apple daily as part of my breakfast and its going to be a year now. If i miss it for breakfast, which is very rare, i snack on it. Also, it gratifies my sweet tooth. Whenever i am away from home, say on road trip or camping, i either pack it from home or just buy locally at stores.
After tasting many different apples, i found 'Red Delicious Apple' is the one for me. It has a very sweet taste, nice crunchiness with somewhat dark red skin. I buy my apples from Costco. Sometimes they are out of red delicious, during that time, i buy Fuji or Gala apples. I am never out of apples at home, as i refill them regularly. Alright, let get to know'em more,
- It is a good source of vitamin C, potassium and folic acids. Also trace amounts of B vitamins, magnesium, iron and zinc. It is essential for cell detoxification and enzymatic function.
- It contains bioflavonoids, known for antioxidants, also improves immune system prevents heart disease and cancer.
- It has high soluble fiber from pectin and insoluble fiber from cellulose, aids the digestive process and encourages the beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.
- It has high water content, which are cooling, moistening and helps in reducing fever.
- Its pectin (soluble fiber) helps in reducing high cholesterol as well as blood sugar. It also decrease the chance of colon cancer.The fibers keeps the LDL cholesterol under control.
- It contains malic acid and tartaric acid that inhibits fermentation in the intestines.
- It is good for treating acid reflux condition also called GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease).
- It has phloridzin, a flavonoid that helps preventing women from osteoporosis and also increases bone density.
- It has flavonoids and photochemicals which protects against lung cancer and colon cancer.
- It has high antioxidants, which helps eliminate acne problems and make your skin vibrant and glowing. Among the top 20 antioxidant foods, Red delicious apple takes the 12th place.(Also, 1st among apples.)
How to eat?
- Wash the fruit and wipe it with a paper towel to remove any residue.
- Some apples are coated with wax to prevent the crisp and shiny skin. With a vegetable brush, gently scrub the apple while rinsing, to remove any wax content and wipe dry.
- It (All fruits) should be eaten on an empty stomach. It helps detoxifying your system and prevents graying hair, dark circles under the eyes and nervous outburst.
- Do not cook the fruit, as it looses all its vitamins and left with taste only.
- Never peel off the skin, as half of the vitamins and soluble fiber content are under the skin.
- Better to eat whole raw fruit. With a juicer in your kitchen, make fresh fruit juice at home, do not drink juice in cans.
- It should be free from blemishes with bright color skin.
- It should feel firm with tight skin and not dull or mushy.
- Store it in the refrigerator in a plastic bag for freshness.
- Make sure there are no blemished apple, which would spoil the whole bag.
- Do not wash the apple before storing.
Serving Size: 1 medium Red Delicious apple (154g)
Total Carbs 22g
Dietary Fiber 5g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 20%
In my experience, apple does a lot of wonders in my body. It fills me up and energizes in the morning, its fiber regulates my digestion, keeps my skin and teeth healthy and much more. What are you waiting for? Grab an apple and start you day.