Don't turn your back on this whole wheat pizza because it didn't taste like cardboard, for sure. The crust is prepared from a mix of wheat flour and APF. Also, i have added few dried herbs to the flour to make the crust even more flavorful. These days everybody is trying to sneak in some healthy stuff into their favorite dishes and one such dish is my pizza. For topping, use the real cheese, but in moderation and skip the low-fat ones. This way, you will feel full and satisfied and also escape from cravings. My next pizza will be 'all WWF, no APF'. I guess so...
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/2 cups All purpose flour (Maida), divided
1 1/2 cups Warm Water
1 tbsp Active Dry Yeast
1/2tsp Italian Seasoning (optional)
1/2tsp Pizza Seasoning (optional)
1tbsp Olive oil, more for greasing
- Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the warm water and let sit for 10 mins, until foamy.
- In a big bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, 1 cup APF, seasonings and salt.
- Add the olive oil to the flour mixture and mix it well.
- Now pour the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix until dough starts to come together.
- Transfer the dough to a floured flat surface and start kneading by slowly adding the remaining 1/2 cup APF and prepare a smooth dough. Knead for 10 mins.
- Now transfer the kneaded dough to a clean oiled bowl, wrap it with a kitchen towel and place it inside the microwave oven. (Do not switch on the oven.)
- Let it rest for an hour, until doubled.
- Once doubled, gently knead the dough for a min getting the air out of the dough.
- Divide the dough into equal halves and let rest for another 45 mins in the same warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and grease a cookie sheet/ baking pan.
- Transfer one dough ball onto the greased sheet/pan, gently press with your hands to make desired shape of equal thickness. (You can make 2 thin crust pizzas.)
Pizza Sauce (see the recipe here)
1/2 small Green Bell Pepper (thinly sliced)
1/2 small Red Onion (thinly sliced)
1/2 cup Shredded chicken (already cooked)
1/4 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
2 Fresh Mozzarella balls (sliced and cubed)
- Spread the sauce over the dough leaving 1/2 to 1 inch from the sides.
- Top it with pepper, onion, chicken the cheeses.
- Bake for 18 mins, until the crust is golden brown and the cheeses are all melted.
- Slice it up and devour.
2 handfuls Fresh Baby Spinach
2 White Button Mushrooms (thinly sliced)
1/4 Red onion (thinly sliced)
1tbsp Crumbled Feta Cheese
1tbsp Olive Oil
1tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1tsp low sodium Soy Sauce
1/4tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Toss together the spinach, mushroom, red onion and feta.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the spinach and mushroom and give it a gentle mix.
- Serve as a side with pizza.