These sweet rolls are easy and fun to make with a few ingredients from your pantry. Baking breads are not only therapeutic, but its a lot of fun and very comforting. In my kitchen, 'Coconut oil is the new Butter', so i have replaced butter (the original recipe calls for) with coconut oil. Also added the whole wheat flour for my satisfaction. The bread is not too sweet and every bite just melted in my mouth. You can make your own tweaks and twists, and enjoy the baking therapy. Here goes the recipe,
1 1/2 cups All purpose flour (Maida)
1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
2tbsp + 2tsp Coconut oil (Organic Extra virgin)
1 tbsp Canola oil
1/2 cup Luke warm Milk (i used 2%)
2tbsp +2tsp Sugar
1 1/2tsp Active Dry Yeast
1 Egg white, for brushing
- Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the milk and let sit for 10 mins, until foamy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours and salt, followed by the oils and egg.
- Now pour the yeast mixture into the flour mixture and mix well.
- When the dough starts to pull away from the sides, (its going to be really sticky, don't panic, make sure you a have a tbsp of flour by the side just enough to coat your hands) take it in your flour coated hands and keep on folding and pressing between your palms until it is smooth and a bit handle-able. (Do not add more flour to the dough when kneading. 'The stickier the dough, the softer the Bread'.) (Sorry, couldn't grab the camera for a click as my hands were playing with the sticky dough.)
- Transfer the dough into a lightly oil coated bowl, wrap and let rest in a warm place for an hour, until doubled. (I kept inside microwave oven.)
- Remove the dough, knead it for a min and cut into equal pieces.
- Now line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, shape the dough into desired shapes and place it on the sheet.
- Cover and let rest for another 30 mins inside the oven. The dough doubles again. (if you want to make smaller buns, make sure you cut the dough accordingly.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slightly beat the egg white and brush the top just before baking.
- Bake for 15-18 mins, until golden brown.
- Let cool on a cooling rack before storing.
- Serve warm with your morning cup of coffee or tea.