This walnut cake is prepared with ground walnuts instead of flour and so its a great way to get all your healthy fats in every bite. The dates gives the cake ample sweetness that is absolutely devour-able and keeps it nice and moist. If your dates are too sweet, you can even cut down the sugar. You can have it for your breakfast with some fruits or as an dessert with a dollop of your favorite ice-cream. One more thing, if you hate to eat the whole dates, then this is a must try for you. Yup, you read it right. And here goes the recipe,
3 cups raw Walnuts
3/4 cup Dates (finely chopped)
4 Eggs (separated
1/2 cup Sugar
2 tsp Orange zest (finely grated)
3/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 pinch Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat a spring foam cake pan with the cooking spray.
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites.
- Pulse together the walnuts, cinnamon powder and 1/4 cup of sugar. (Fine ground, not powdery ground)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, orange zest and vanilla test.
- In a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until foamy and add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar until soft peaks form.
- Now fold the yolk mixture and dates to the beaten egg whites.
- Then add the walnut mixture in thirds and fold until evenly mixed.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 22-25 mins.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 mins. And then gently run a knife around the edges and loosen the cake.
- Let it cool completely before slicing. Serve the cake with some whipped cream and garnish with chopped walnuts.