A warm, rich and lightly sweetened kheer with a hint of saffron. This is such a simple dessert that is scrumptious enough for your taste buds to scream 'whoa'. With a few ingredients from your pantry, you can pull this together in no time. Here goes the recipe,
2 cups Milk
1 cups Long grain/Basmati Rice (cooked)
1tbsp Pistachios (chopped)
1tbsp Almonds (chopped)
1/8tsp Cardamom powder
1 pinch Saffron
- Soak the raisins in water to puff'em up.
- Crush and grind the saffron with 1 tsp of sugar using a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the milk in a heavy bottomed pan on medium flame. (I used 2% reduced fat milk. You can replace with whole milk for a rich consistency.)
- Add the rice and heat it through, stirring occasionally.
- Now add the crushed saffron and sugar and cook'em until the milk is reduced and thickens.
- Then add the chopped nuts and raisins, mix well.
- Switch off the flame and add the cardamom powder.
- Serve it warm or cold garnishing with chopped nuts.