This is a sweet-smelling lemony dessert, smooth and creamy, that you can't stop licking the spoon. It is perfect after a heavy meal as the limoncello helps in digestion. Limoncello is an Italian lemon liqueur, made from lemon peels. One of our very good friend gifted us this fine bottle, after their visit to Italy. It has strong lemony flavor without any sourness or bitterness from the lemon. Granita is a semi-frozen dessert made from sugar, water and other flavorings like lemon, orange, coffee, chocolate and so many. The texture of this frozen mixture will be semi-solid and creamy like yogurt, and the lemony flavor will leave you light and refreshing. The lemon zest gave the dessert nice yellow hue here and there, and every bite was absolutely yummy.
Come on, its cheese, liqueur and sugar, you cannot go wrong. Senthil gave 2 thumbs-up and me, very happy :)
1 cup Mascarpone Cheese (8oz)
1/2 cup Limoncello
1 1/2 cups Lemon simple syrup
9x13 Baking dish
For Lemon Simple Syrup:
1 Lemon's Zest
3tbsp Lemon juice
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Water
- Heat a saucepan at medium heat, add the sugar, water, zest and lemon juice. Gently stir and bring it to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat and simmer it for 5 mins. Switch off and bring it to room temperature.
- Add the room temperature mascarpone cheese, limoncello and the lemon simple syrup and process until its smooth. (I used mixie and pulsed it 3 times. I guess food processor works even better.)
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish, wrap it and freeze it for at least 4 hrs.
- For serving, scrape the top layer with a fork or spoon and serve it immediately.