If you are not a big fan of carrots, then this chutney is definitely for you. Yup! you read it right. This is a simple chutney made from not-so-favorite vegetable for most of us, but it doesn't taste like it at all. I have prepared it really hot with a bit extra thai chilies, because that is how it quickly disappears in my home. Also, i have skipped the final tadka which you can always add at the end, if you prefer. The color and chunky texture adds another dimension to the chutney. Bring carrots to your 'really good' list by preparing this chutney. And here goes the recipe,
3 medium Carrots (shredded)
1/4 cup Coconut (shredded)
6 green Chilies (chopped)
1 tbsp dried Tamarind
2 Garlic pods (chopped)
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 sprig Curry leaves
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Urad dal
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp white Sesame seeds
1 tbsp Oil
1/2 cup Water
- Heat oil in a skillet at medium heat, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida, cumin seeds and sesame seeds and splutter'em.
- Then add the green chilies, curry leaves, garlic and tamarind, and saute for a couple of mins.
- Now add the shredded carrot, mix well and cook until the raw smell disappears, for 3-4 mins.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely and then grind together with the coconut and salt for taste.
- Add water while grinding for desired consistency of the chutney.
- Serve as a side for dosa or idli.