I never had my hands on baby potatoes until i made this hot and finger-licking curry. It is simple and easy to make with your basic pantry stuff and also pretty addictive and makes you gobble up the potatoes. The curry might look a bit dry than your usual gravy for chapathis but it is actually quite moist and goes perfectly well. If you want more of a gravy, then smash one potato and mix it with the masala when you add the water. And here goes the recipe,
8-10 Baby Potatoes
2 Ripe Tomatoes
1 medium Red Onion (finely chopped)
3 Green Chilies (slit)
5-6 Curry Leaves
1/2tsp Ginger (minced)
1/2tsp Cumin seeds
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
1tsp Red Chilli powder
1/2tsp Garam masala powder
2tbsp Cilantro, for garnishing
1 cup Water
- Boil and peel the baby potatoes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently sear the potatoes without breaking'em and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the cumin seeds followed by onions and saute'em for 2-3 mins.
- Add the ginger, green chilies and curry leaves and cook for a min.
- Now add the tomatoes and cook until its completely mashed with lid closed.
- Add the turmeric powder, chili power and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Now add the seared potatoes, prick'em with a fork and gently mix with the masala.
- Add water and salt and cook 5-6 mins or until everything comes together.
- Check salt for taste, switch off and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with chapathi or paratha.