These rolls will make you drool, if you are a goat cheese lover like me. I first tasted goat cheese on my pizza as a topping, though i found'em mostly on salads (not a big salad fan), the salty bite of it is heavenly. When i found this recipe, goat cheese stuffed eggplant, it sounded so yummy that i can't wait to devour'em. I am telling you, you got to taste this. First couple of bites were clean and slow with a fork and knife, later we started gobbling and licking our fingers with goat cheese all over. Truly no exaggeration. And here goes the recipe,
1 large Eggplant
4oz Goat Cheese (crumbled)
1tbsp dried Onion flakes/1tsp Onion powder
1/2tsp dried thyme / 1/2tbsp fresh Thyme
1/2tsp dried Oregano / 1/2tbsp fresh Oregano
1tsp minced Garlic
1tsp Lemon juice
1tbsp Olive oil + more for drizzling
Tooth picks (to hold the rolls)
Orange Zest (to sprinkle on top)
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4" pieces. Lay it over a rack, sprinkle salt all over the eggplant pieces and let it sit and sweat for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare the goat cheese mixture.
- In a bowl, add the crumbled goat cheese, dried herbs, onion flakes (you can crush the onion flakes to avoid big pieces in your bite), garlic, lemon juice, 1tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine everything well with a fork or back of a spoon. If the mixture is a bit dry, drizzle more olive oil to make it wet and keep it aside.
- Now, use a paper towel to gently blot the liquid on top of the eggplant. (This way of sweating and blotting reduces the bitterness of the eggplant)
- Then sprinkle pepper, drizzle olive oil and grill'em at medium heat for a min on each side or until you get nice grill marks. (If you don't have grill pan, you can broil'em at low until they brown on both sides.)
- Transfer the grilled eggplant to a paper towel.
- Start assembling the rolls by laying a grilled eggplant on a sheet pan or chopping board, place 1tbsp of goat cheese filling and spread it all over, just like you butter a toasted bread.
- Then, gently roll the eggplant tight and secure it with tooth picks.
- Roll up the remaining eggplant in a similar manner and sprinkle the orange zest for a refreshing bite.
Serve it warm as an appetizer.